July 14, 2005
Health Tip: Heed These Travel Safety Precautions
When going it alone
(HealthDayNews) -- Women who travel alone should take certain safety precautions, advises the American Automobile Association.
Here are some pointers:
- Take a doorstop in your luggage and jam it under your closed hotel room door when you retire for the night.
- Avoid ground level hotel rooms. Concierge floors often offer extra security.
- Keep a business card from your hotel in your purse, in case you get lost.
- If you're traveling in segregated areas, such as orthodox religious neighborhoods, take cues from the women around you and try to blend in.
- Don't leave your drink unattended in a restaurant or bar.
- Have phone numbers and know the location of places such as the U.S. embassy and the police.
- When registering, use only your last name and first initial, if possible.