June 14, 2015
Health Tip: Prepare for Illness if Traveling Abroad
Plan ahead for medication and insurance
(HealthDay News) -- Getting sick while traveling doesn't have to lead to disaster.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends:
- Determine if you need special insurance, such as evacuation or travel health insurance.
- Register with the nearest U.S. embassy once you reach your destination.
- Pack all medications you will need, including extras.
- Always have with you a small card, written in the host language, that lists your health conditions, blood type, allergies and medications.
- If you have a serious chronic medical condition, wear a MedicAlert bracelet.