September 14, 2009
Health Tip: Preparing for a Health Emergency
Take precautions before you hit the road
(HealthDay News) -- If you're planning an international trip, don't forget to make preparations for possible illness or injury.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention offers these suggestions:
- Find out your destination's requirements for insurance and payment for medical expenses.
- Call your health insurance company to verify if it will cover any medical expenses incurred in another country.
- If your insurer won't cover you, consider purchasing extra health insurance just for your trip.
- Do some homework on medical evacuation insurance, which can cover the expenses of moving you to another country or city for better care.
- Understand that you may have to initially pay some of your medical expenses out-of-pocket, even if you expect to be reimbursed by your insurance carrier.