(HealthDay News) -- Slick roadways are a prime contributor to car accidents. But practicing safe driving techniques while it's raining or snowing can help lessen your chances of ending up in a fender bender.
The National Safety Council offers these suggestions:
- Drive slowly and cautiously, especially on curves.
- Leave plenty of space between you and other cars.
- When you need to stop or slow down, brake slowly and gently -- never slam on the brakes.
- If your car starts to skid, slowly take your foot off the gas and turn in the direction you want the front of the car to go.
- Stay away from puddles, and try to travel in the same part of the road as cars before you.