Follow Our Live Coverage of COVID-19 Developments

Health Tip: Carbon Monoxide Safety

Please note: This article was published more than one year ago. The facts and conclusions presented may have since changed and may no longer be accurate. And "More information" links may no longer work. Questions about personal health should always be referred to a physician or other health care professional.

(HealthDay News) -- Carbon monoxide (CO) is known as "the invisible killer" because it's a colorless, odorless and poisonous gas.

More than 150 people in the United States die each year from accidental CO poisoning, says the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.

The commission encourages consumers to:

  • Have annual heating system inspections.
  • Never use portable generators indoors.
  • Never use an oven for heating.
  • Install battery-operated CO alarms.
  • Know the symptoms of CO poisoning.

Last Updated: