Health Tip: Keep Poisons From Children

Put them out of kids' reach

Please note: This article was published more than one year ago. The facts and conclusions presented may have since changed and may no longer be accurate. And "More information" links may no longer work. Questions about personal health should always be referred to a physician or other health care professional.

(HealthDay News) -- Poisonous or harmful substances, from medications to cleaning supplies, should be kept safely out of reach from curious children.

Safekids.org offers these suggestions:

  • Make sure dangerous products, including bleach, detergent and other cleaning items, are kept where a child cannot reach them. Under-sink storage is not a safe place.
  • If you do store dangerous products in cabinets that a child can reach, secure them with a safety lock.
  • Many unexpected items, such as makeup, plants, personal care products and art supplies, also can be hazardous and shouldn't be within a child's reach.
  • Make sure all medications are stored out of a child's reach.
  • Inspect your home for lead-based paint. Remove any peeling paint or paint from surfaces that a child could chew.
  • Have the national Poison Help number easily accessible: 1-800-222-1222.

--

Last Updated: