Follow Our Live Coverage of COVID-19 Developments

Health Tip: Paint Exposure First Aid

Please note: This article was published more than one year ago. The facts and conclusions presented may have since changed and may no longer be accurate. And "More information" links may no longer work. Questions about personal health should always be referred to a physician or other health care professional.

(HealthDay News) -- From acrylic to oil-based, most paints for indoor use are safe to use. But paint users should be aware of first aid for paint exposure, says the National Capital Poison Center.

Poison Control suggests:

  • Wash paint from the skin with soap and water.
  • If paint gets into the eyes, rinse with running water for 15-20 minutes.
  • If someone swallows paint, give a small amount of water or milk to drink.Then contact poison control.
  • Watch for nausea, vomiting or diarrhea.
  • If someone inhales paint fumes and feels sick, immediately get fresh air. Call Poison Control at 1-800-222-1222.

Last Updated: