Health Tip: Potpourri May Smell Nice

But it can be toxic if swallowed

(HealthDay News) -- Decorative sachets are common during the holidays, but potpourri can be deadly if young children or pets swallow it.

The U.S. National Institute of Health says potpourri ingestion may damage the respiratory, gastrointestinal and nervous systems.

If a child or pet eats potpourri, don't try to induce vomiting or treat the problem yourself. Instead, seek emergency medical attention immediately.

Consumer News