See What HealthDay Can Do For You
Contact Us

Health Tip: Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Steps to protect your home and family

(HealthDay News) -- Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that can lead to serious illness or death if inhaled in significant amounts.

Potential sources include: unvented kerosene and gas space heaters, furnaces, wood stoves, gas stoves, fireplaces and water heaters, and automobile exhaust.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning could include tiredness, headache, confusion, nausea and dizziness.

The National Safety Council offers these suggestions to help protect you and your loved ones from carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • Make sure that every appliance in your home is installed properly and is working correctly.
  • Have your furnace, chimneys and flues inspected and cleaned each year.
  • If using a fireplace, make sure the flue is open.
  • Never heat your home with a gas range or oven.
  • Be sure that your stove and furnace vent outdoors and there are no leaks in the exhaust systems. Also make sure that your furnace takes in enough fresh air.
  • Never burn charcoal indoors or in any enclosed space, such as in a camper or R.V.
  • Never leave a gas-fueled tool or vehicle running inside a garage or tool shed, or anywhere indoors.
  • Never use kerosene or gas heaters indoors.
Consumer News