Health Tip: Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Keep your family safer

Please note: This article was published more than one year ago. The facts and conclusions presented may have since changed and may no longer be accurate. And "More information" links may no longer work. Questions about personal health should always be referred to a physician or other health care professional.

(HealthDay News) -- Carbon monoxide (CO) is routinely called a "silent killer," since the toxic gas is odorless and tasteless.

More than 400 people die each year in the United States from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning, and more than 50,000 people visit the emergency room due to CO exposure, the CDC says.

The agency suggests how to reduce your chances of CO poisoning:

  • Do not leave the motor running in a vehicle while it's in a garage.
  • Never run a generator, pressure washer or any gasoline-powered engine inside an enclosed structure, unless the equipment is professionally installed and vented.
  • Never run a gasoline-powered engine less than 20 feet from an open window or door where exhaust can vent into an enclosed area.
  • Never use a charcoal grill, hibachi, lantern, or portable camping stove inside a home, tent or camper.
  • If you think you've been exposed to carbon monoxide, seek medical attention immediately.

Last Updated: