Health Tip: Prevent Chemical Poisoning
Turn on fans when using household and chemical products
(HealthDayNews) -- You've probably taken steps to protect your kids from accidental poisoning. But children aren't the only ones who need protection. Adults, too, can become victims of unintentional poisonings.
The American Association of Poison Control Centers has these suggestions:
- Read and follow the directions and caution labels on household products before using them.
- Never mix household and chemical products together. A poisonous gas may be created when mixing chemicals.
- Turn on fans and open windows when using household and chemical products.
- Pesticides can be absorbed through the skin and can be extremely poisonous. So stay away from areas that have recently been sprayed.
- Never sniff containers to discover what's inside.
- Discard old or outdated household and chemical products.
- Keep the number of your local poison control center near the phone.