Health Tip: Reducing Your Child's Risk of Lead Poisoning

Be especially careful if you live in an older home

Please note: This article was published more than one year ago. The facts and conclusions presented may have since changed and may no longer be accurate. And "More information" links may no longer work. Questions about personal health should always be referred to a physician or other health care professional.

(HealthDay News) -- Lead often is found in the paint in older homes. When ingested by young children, lead can cause serious developmental and health problems.

The American Academy of Family Physicians advises:

  • If your home was built before 1978, keep your child away from any areas of peeling paint. Repaint surfaces to make sure any lead paint is sealed in.
  • Talk to your child's pediatrician about lead testing.
  • If you're remodeling an older home, seal off work areas to prevent paint dust from spreading.
  • Make sure your child always washes his or her face and hands before eating.

--

Last Updated: