Health Tip: Using a Carbon Monoxide Detector

What to do if the alarm sounds

Please note: This article was published more than one year ago. The facts and conclusions presented may have since changed and may no longer be accurate. And "More information" links may no longer work. Questions about personal health should always be referred to a physician or other health care professional.

(HealthDay News) -- If you have a carbon monoxide detector in your home, you also need to be prepared with an action plan in case the alarm sounds.

The National Safety Council offers these suggestions if there may be a carbon monoxide leak in your home:

  • Quickly confirm that the alarm is coming from a carbon monoxide detector -- not a smoke detector.
  • Make sure that everyone in the house is feeling OK, without any symptoms. These may include fatigue, headache, weakness, confusion, disorientation, nausea or dizziness.
  • Anyone experiencing symptoms should be immediately taken out of the house to get medical attention.
  • If everyone is OK, open up the windows in your home and turn off any boiler, furnace, chimney or appliance that could release carbon monoxide.
  • Have a technician inspect all potential sources of carbon monoxide -- including appliances and chimneys that burn fuel -- to make sure they are working properly.

--

Last Updated:

Related Articles