Health Tip: Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Steps to take at home

Please note: This article was published more than one year ago. The facts and conclusions presented may have since changed and may no longer be accurate. And "More information" links may no longer work. Questions about personal health should always be referred to a physician or other health care professional.

(HealthDay News) - To prevent poisoning from carbon monoxide -- a colorless, odorless gas -- it's important to take precautions at home.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency offers these safety recommendations:

  • Have your appliances that burn fuel checked once a year, including your chimney and furnace flues.
  • Don't try to heat your home with a gas-burning oven.
  • Never use a grill or barbecue inside the home, in a garage, or in any enclosed space.
  • Don't use an unvented kerosene or gas heater inside the home, particularly while you sleep.
  • Don't allow a lawn mower or car to run inside a garage.
  • Use a carbon monoxide alarm in your home, particularly in areas where you sleep.

--

Last Updated: