June 18, 2014
Health Tip: Hunkering Down for a Hurricane
Keep abreast of weather reports
(HealthDay News) -- If authorities suggest that you remain at home during a pending hurricane, there are precautions you can take to stay safe.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention offers these suggestions:
- Follow the latest weather reports on television or radio.
- Stay indoors until you have been advised that it's safe to leave home, even if it looks calm outside.
- Stay in a room without windows, or inside a closet.
- Sit inside a bathtub with a piece of plywood overtop.
- Be prepared to leave quickly if emergency officials order an evacuation.