August 3, 2011
Health Tip: Lightning Can Be Dangerous While You're Inside
Suggestions for indoor safety
(HealthDay News) -- Even indoors, you may be hurt by lightning unless you take the proper precautions, the National Weather Service says.
The agency offers these indoor safety suggestions during a thunderstorm:
- Do not use phones with a cord during a thunderstorm. Cellular and cordless phones are OK.
- Never touch electrical cords or equipment during a storm. Unplug electronics before the storm starts.
- Don't wash your hands, do dishes or shower during a storm.
- Avoid windows and doors during a storm. Do not lie on concrete floors or lean against concrete walls.
- Stay off your computer until the storm is over.