April 24, 2017
Health Tip: Prepare for a Tornado
Suggestions to stay safer
(HealthDay News) -- When the weather service announces a local tornado warning, your family should have a plan to stay safe.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention suggests:
- Create an emergency plan for tornadoes, including where to seek shelter. Identify two exits from each room and make sure you have escape access from upper floors.
- Mark important areas in your home, including where fire extinguishers, first aid kits and utility switches are located.
- Make sure family members can provide basic first aid and can use a fire extinguisher. Everyone also should know how to turn off gas, electricity and water.
- Check with your child's school about emergency dismissal policies.
- Teach children about what a tornado is, and how to take shelter at home and school.