December 25, 2002
Tips for easing cold symptoms
(HealthDayNews) -- Medical science has yet to come up with a cure for the common cold.
But if you're feeling stuffed up and achy all over, there are things you can do to feel better.
The American Academy of Family Physicians suggests you:
- Stay home and rest, especially if you have a fever.
- Stop smoking and avoid secondhand smoke, which can worsen symptoms.
- Drink lots of fluids like water, fruit juices and clear soups. They help loosen mucous.
- Don't drink alcohol.
- Relieve a sore throat by gargling with warm salt water a few times a day.
- Use salt water drops to loosen the mucous in your nose.