(HealthDay News) -- An over-the-counter cough medicine may offer some relief for a simple cough or cold, but cough medicine probably won't alleviate symptoms of more serious conditions.
Here are warning signs that your cough requires a call to your doctor, courtesy of the American Academy of Family Physicians:
- A "productive cough," characterized by coughing up phlegm or mucus.
- A wheezing sound when you cough or breathe.
- A persistent cough caused by smoking, chronic bronchitis or emphysema.
- A cough that has lasted for longer than a week.
- A cough accompanied by a fever, rash, or persistent headache.