May 3, 2010
Health Tip: Why Your Child is Coughing
Here are typical causes of chronic cough
(HealthDay News) -- While a child's persistent cough isn't always a serious problem, it should always be evaluated by a doctor.
The American Academy of Allergy Asthma and Immunology says here are possible causes of chronic cough in children:
- A sinus infection or allergic rhinitis.
- Acid reflux.
- A viral infection (coughing can persist for weeks afterward).
- A bacterial infection that affects the lower airways.
- Inhaling a foreign object (such as food or a toy).
- A habit of coughing, often after an infection that caused a cough.
- Irritation from triggers such as smoke, pollution or exhaust.