June 26, 2011
Health Tip: Reduce Infection Risk After Ear Piercing
And help speed healing
(HealthDay News) -- Newly pierced ears can be prime candidates for infection, but proper care can help reduce the risk.
The American Academy of Pediatricians offers these suggestions:
- Make sure an experienced technician, nurse or doctor performs the procedure, and that a disinfectant is applied to the ears before piercing.
- After the procedure, gently cleanse the ears with rubbing alcohol two to three times a day.
- Apply antibiotic ointment after each cleaning.
- Carefully turn the earring posts each day.
- Do not remove the earrings for at least six weeks.