See What HealthDay Can Do For You
Contact Us

Health Tip: Recognize Anaphylactic Shock

A severe reaction to an allergen

(HealthDay News) -- Anaphylactic shock occurs when a person has ingested or come in contact with a substance to which they are severely allergic. The reaction can be life-threatening.

The Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network says people with food allergies -- especially shellfish, peanuts and other nuts -- are at especially high risk of anaphylactic shock, particularly if they have had a previous reaction.

Symptoms typically include a feeling of itchiness or tingling; metallic taste in the mouth; hives; difficulty breathing; swollen mouth or throat; vomiting; diarrhea; or unconsciousness.

Symptoms should be recognized quickly. A shot of epinephrine is typically administered to counter the reaction.

Consumer News

HealthDay

HealthDay is the world’s largest syndicator of health news and content, and providers of custom health/medical content.

Consumer Health News

A health news feed, reviewing the latest and most topical health stories.

Professional News

A news feed for Health Care Professionals (HCPs), reviewing latest medical research and approvals.