Health Tip: Watch for Lactose in Foods
If you're lactose intolerant
(HealthDay News) -- Lactose intolerant people may be primed to avoid milk, sparing themselves uncomfortable symptoms of bloating, gas or stomach cramps.
But lactose may be an ingredient in many foods, in addition to milk. The womenshealth.gov website offers this list of possible examples:
- Ice cream, sherbet, cream, butter, some cheeses and yogurt.
- Baked goods, such as breads and cereals.
- Cake, cookie, pancake and biscuit mixes.
- Prepared soups, breakfast drinks and instant mashed potatoes.
- Salad dressings.
- Lunch meats, and prepared and frozen meals.