May 14, 2013
Health Tip: Exercise With Allergies and Asthma
Speak with an allergist first
(HealthDay News) -- Exercise is a good idea for anyone, but it poses special challenges for people with allergies and asthma.
The American College of Sports Medicine offers these suggestions:
- Talk to an allergist before starting an exercise program.
- Take all medications for allergies and asthma as prescribed by your doctor.
- Breathe through the nose while you exercise.
- Exercise indoors when outdoor pollen counts are high. Keep windows and doors closed, and exercise on a mat instead of on carpeting.
- Keep rescue medications on hand, don't exercise if symptoms are flaring, and take extra time to warm up and cool down.