Health Tip: If You're Allergic to Shellfish
Avoid foods that can trigger a reaction
(HealthDay News) -- If you are allergic to shellfish, you can end up in the hospital if you eat something with a protein found in shellfish.
So be sure to check the ingredient label of anything you eat. Here is a list of ingredients to avoid, courtesy of the Barnes-Jewish Hospital:
- Crab, crawfish, crayfish, ecrevisse.
- Any type of clam, including cherrystone, littleneck, pismo and quahog.
- Lobster, langouste or langoustine, scampi, coral or tomalley.
- Mussels, oyster, scallops or any kind of mollusk.
- Shrimp, prawns or crevette.
- Cockle, periwinkle or sea urchin.