(HealthDay News) -- Mold is a common fungus that can invade your home and cause allergy symptoms such as runny nose, sneezing and cough.
The Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America offers these suggestions on how to prevent the growth of mold in your home:
- In bathrooms, install an exhaust fan or open a window when showering to prevent moisture build-up.
- If you have a plumbing leak -- especially in the basement -- repair it quickly.
- Avoid carpeting in bathrooms, as it can retain moisture.
- Scrub bathtubs and sinks at least monthly, preferably with a bleach-based cleaner to kill mold.
- Clean garbage cans regularly.
- On humid days, use a dehumidifier to remove moisture from the air.