Health Tip: Rid Your Home of Dust Mites
And help prevent asthma and allergy symptoms
(HealthDay News) -- Creating a clean environment will help rid your home of dust mites, making breathing easier in people with allergies and asthma.
Try these suggestions for getting rid of the microscopic insects from your home, courtesy of the American Lung Association:
- Ensure that the humidity level of your home is below 50 percent. During the summer months, use an air conditioner or a dehumidifier.
- Wash all linens every week in hot water, in a temperature of at least 130 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Use protective airtight coverings over mattresses, and apply tape over the zippers.
- Avoid carpeting. Use washable rugs instead.
- Damp mop and dust your home often.
- Use washable curtains and window coverings, and clean them regularly.