The journal Dermatology cites a study of 609 patients who were examined for inflammation of the eyelids -- periorbital eczema. A total of 81 percent of the patients were women. Most cases turned out to be allergic reactions to products the patients were using, either ordered by their doctor or cosmetics.
- The worst offenders were eye ointments, accounting for 33 percent of the total;
- Face creams represented 15 percent of cases;
- Eye shadows, makeup and shampoos tied at 10 percent of cases;
- Perfume explained 6 percent of the responses;
- And 4 percent of patients were allergic to their own nail polish!