June 19, 2012
Health Tip: Caregivers, Protect Your Own Health
Increased stress can lead to emotional problems
(HealthDay News) -- The stressful job of being a caregiver for a loved one can trigger health problems for you, too.
The Womenshealth.gov website says these health problems can be brought on by caregiver stress:
- Emotional health problems, such as anxiety or depression.
- Increased levels of stress hormones.
- Increased risk of a chronic disease such as heart disease, arthritis, diabetes or cancer.
- Weakened immunity, which may lead to becoming sick more frequently.
- Taking longer to heal from an injury.
- Increased risk of obesity and memory problems.