(HealthDayNews) -- Staying active as you age helps you remain healthy and feel better. But you need to exercise safely.
The American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons suggests these tips to prevent injury:
- Wear the appropriate safety gear.
- Warm-up before you exercise.
- Exercise for at least 30 minutes a day, even if you break this into briefer workout periods.
- Never increase your program more than 10 percent a week.
- Vary your fitness routine.
- Stop exercising if you have pain or swelling.