(HealthDay News) -- Whether you're decorating your home or climbing to stash holiday packages, take care to avoid falls.
Falls are a leading cause of injury among older people. The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons suggests how you can help prevent them:
- If you use a ladder, make sure it's of the correct type and height for the job.
- Check out the ladder before use to make sure there is no damage and nothing is broken.
- Carry the ladder carefully.
- Place the ladder in a stable, safe position before you start climbing.
- Take care to hold onto the rails, avoid standing on the top rung and don't reach too far to the side.
- Do not climb a ladder if you feel tired or dizzy, or have been drinking alcohol.