(HealthDay News) -- Exercise is beneficial at any age, and seniors can certainly enjoy its many benefits. But before getting started, you should learn how to exercise safely.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons offers these recommendations to help seniors get started:
- Gradually increase your aerobic workouts, and add variety to your routine.
- Practice flexibility exercises, stretching slowly, gently and within your comfort level.
- Practice strength training exercises, but under the guidance of your doctor, physical therapist or fitness professional.
- Practice relaxation techniques to reduce stress and lower blood pressure.
- Drink plenty of water each day.
- Snack often throughout the day, and stick to light dinners.