Institutional Abuse

Speak out about mistreatment

Please note: This article was published more than one year ago. The facts and conclusions presented may have since changed and may no longer be accurate. And "More information" links may no longer work. Questions about personal health should always be referred to a physician or other health care professional.

(HealthDayNews) -- Elderly adults who live in homes for the aged often don't speak up when they're being ill-treated. Often they fear that if they report the abuse, the staff will behave with even more cruelty, says Health Canada.

But you can and should do something about abusive health care workers.

Here are several steps you can take:

  • Tell a trusted staff member about how you or someone you know is being treated.
  • Be aware of resident rights. Most institutions have a Resident's Bill of Rights, and in many cases, abuse is a criminal act.
  • Don't be afraid to tell a health care worker that you don't like how he or she is treating you or someone else. Write down what happened, so you will remember the details when you report the incident to the proper authorities.


Last Updated:

Related Articles