August 12, 2003
Gardening With Arthritis
Create a garden that suits your needs
(HealthDayNews) -- If arthritis is hampering your love of gardening, you can create a garden that suits your personal needs, suggests the Arthritis Foundation:
- Make sure your garden has a nearby water source so you don't have to carry watering cans or hoses far.
- Store your gardening tools in a nearby storage area.
- Arrange your garden in terraces that provide raised beds, so you don't have to bend over.
- Create wide paths throughout your garden so you have room to move around easily.
- Use trellises for climbing plants to make a vertical garden that cuts down on the amount of bending you must do.