April 16, 2007
Health Tip: Reduce Snoring
How to get a good night's sleep
(HealthDay News) -- Snoring, in addition to being a nuisance, can significantly affect the emotional and physical health of snorers and those around them.
If you're a chronic snorer, try these suggestions from the National Sleep Foundation:
- Lose weight -- dropping pounds should reduce the amount of fat deposits in the throat that can obstruct the airway and cause snoring.
- Sleep on your side rather than your back.
- Avoid alcohol before bed, and stop smoking, as both can contribute to snoring.
- Try a nasal breathing strip, designed to help keep your nostrils open during sleep.
- Ask your doctor or dentist about appliances that can help reduce snoring.