See What HealthDay Can Do For You
Contact Us

Study Finds 8 Percent Rupture Rate for Breast Implants

Silicone implant rupture rate 8 percent or lower over 11 years, says Inamed-funded study

TUESDAY, Aug. 22 (HealthDay News) -- Fewer than 10 percent of Inamed brand silicone implants ruptured over an 11-year period, according to a company-funded study published in the August issue of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.

Per Heden, M.D., of Akademikliniken Hospital in Stockholm, Sweden, and colleagues conducted a multicenter, cross-sectional study of 106 women with at least one Inamed silicone breast implant. Using magnetic resonance imaging technology, they acquired long-term rupture data specific to third-generation silicone breast implants made by Inamed.

During a mean implantation time of 10.9 years, the authors found no evidence of rupture in 92 percent of the 199 implants evaluated. The remaining 8 percent either showed evidence of rupture (6 percent) or were indeterminate and considered ruptured (2 percent).

"Our results provide further evidence to suggest that Inamed silicone breast implants have a low long-term prevalence of rupture," the authors wrote. "Additional study is warranted to establish the long-term incidence of rupture and determine whether the rupture rate progresses in a linear fashion throughout the lifetime of the implant."

The study was funded by the Inamed Corporation, and some of the authors are Inamed employees.

Abstract
Full Text (subscription or payment may be required)

Physician's Briefing

HealthDay

HealthDay is the world’s largest syndicator of health news and content, and providers of custom health/medical content.

Consumer Health News

A health news feed, reviewing the latest and most topical health stories.

Professional News

A news feed for Health Care Professionals (HCPs), reviewing latest medical research and approvals.