See What HealthDay Can Do For You
Contact Us

Excellent Long-Term Outcomes for Testis-Sparing Surgery

Men have good long-term survival

TUESDAY, Sept. 18 (HealthDay News) -- Testis-sparing surgery for Leydig cell tumors results in an excellent long-term outcome in terms of survival, according to a report in the September issue of the Journal of Urology.

Gianluca Giannarini, M.D., and colleagues from the University of Pisa in Italy examined the long-term outcome of 17 patients with histologically confirmed Leydig cell tumors who underwent elective testis-sparing surgery between 1990 and 2005. The surgery was performed via an inguinal approach with spermatic cord clamping.

The researchers found that 64.7 percent of patients had been referred due to signs or symptoms such as infertility, while lesions were incidentally found in the remaining 35.3 percent of patients. The mean tumor diameter was 13.4 mm. Hormonal abnormalities were present in the nine patients profiled. After a mean follow-up of 91 months, all patients were alive without evidence of disease.

"In patients with Leydig cell tumors, testis-sparing surgery with frozen section examination provides an excellent long-term oncological outcome," Giannarini and colleagues conclude.

Abstract
Full Text (subscription or payment may be required)

Physician's Briefing

HealthDay

HealthDay is the world’s largest syndicator of health news and content, and providers of custom health/medical content.

Consumer Health News

A health news feed, reviewing the latest and most topical health stories.

Professional News

A news feed for Health Care Professionals (HCPs), reviewing latest medical research and approvals.