(HealthDay News) -- Weight control usually involves finding the right balance between calories in and calories out. But research also suggests the way your body burns energy may be just as important.
The Moses Taylor Hospital in Pennsylvania offers these tips for accelerating your metabolism.
- Don't starve yourself -- it causes your resting metabolic rate to drop.
- Exercise longer. Only after 30 minutes of intense exercise does your body begin to burn stored fat for energy.
- Choose high-energy exercise, such as walking, biking, cross country skiing, swimming or step aerobics.
- Vary your workout. Try changing your routine every six weeks.
- Eat a good breakfast.
- Avoid alcohol and smoking. Both inhibit the burning of abdominal fat.