(HealthDayNews) -- The average American gains five pounds between Thanksgiving and New Year's -- but you don't have to, experts at Duke University Medical Center say.
They offer these suggestions:
- Don't try to diet. Your goal should be to maintain weight, not lose it.
- To avoid indulging in high-fat fast food, pre-cook several quick, healthy meals and have them readily available for reheating.
- Don't try to cut out high-fat holiday favorites. Instead, choose small portions and fill your plate with low-fat choices, such as apples, cranberry dishes and baked squash.
- Eat something before going to an event with alcohol. The effects of alcohol are felt much more quickly on an empty stomach and can lead to overeating and overdrinking.
- Make the effort to continue a regular exercise program.