Health Tip: When Your Child Needs to Lose Weight
Get doctor's approval before starting a diet
(HealthDay News) -- If your child is overweight, be sure to teach him or her about the importance of a nutritious diet and regular exercise. You also should offer plenty of support and avoid pressuring your youngster.
The Weight-loss Information Network offers these additional suggestions:
- Put your child on a weight-loss plan only after getting your doctor's approval.
- Don't severely restrict what your growing child eats.
- Give your child's self-esteem a lift by loving and accepting your child, no matter what size.
- Don't single out your child. Make sure the whole family exercises and practices healthy eating.
- Work with your child to celebrate accomplishments and cope with setbacks that don't involve eating.