Updated on May 28, 2022
HealthDay operates under the strictest editorial standards. Our syndicated news content is completely independent of any financial interests, is based solely on industry-respected sources and the latest scientific research, and is carefully fact-checked by a team of industry experts to ensure accuracy.
- All articles are edited and checked for factual accuracy by our Editorial Team prior to being published.
- Unless otherwise noted, all articles focusing on new research are based on studies published in peer-reviewed journals or issued from independent and respected medical associations, academic groups and governmental organizations.
- Each article includes a link or reference to the original source.
- Any known potential conflicts of interest associated with a study or source are made clear to the reader.
Please see our Editorial and Fact-Checking Policy for more detail.Editorial and Fact-Checking Policy
HealthDay Editorial Commitment
HeathDay is committed to maintaining the highest possible levels of impartial editorial standards in the content that we present on our website. All of our articles are chosen independent of any financial interests. Editors and writers make all efforts to clarify any financial ties behind the studies on which we report.
MONDAY, Aug. 27, 2018 (HealthDay News) -- Weight loss depends on eating fewer calories than your body uses up. But when you eat those calories could make a difference that you'll see on the scale.
An Italian study found that you can boost weight loss by about 25 percent just by eating 70 percent of each day's calories between breakfast and lunch, including a mid-morning snack, and the other 30 percent as an afternoon snack and dinner.
The researchers used the heart-healthy Mediterranean diet for their study. Participants all cut their intake by 600 calories a day. Their calorie breakdown was 55 percent carbohydrates, 30 percent fat and 15 percent protein, with over 30 grams of fiber daily.
At the end of three months, the participants who ate 70 percent of their daily calories through lunch lost 18 pounds compared to 14 pounds lost by those who ate just 55 percent of their calories through lunch. Plus, they lost more body fat and used insulin more effectively, which can help ward off diabetes.
It will take some effort to rebalance your calories, especially if you're used to eating more later in the day and evening. But the results could be more than worth the switch.
Key guidelines for following the Mediterranean diet:
- Most of the foods you eat should be plant-based, such as vegetables, fruits, nuts and seeds.
- Use plant-based oils, notably olive oil in place of animal fats.
- Eat moderate amounts of dairy in no- or low-fat varieties.
- Eat low-to-moderate amounts of fish, less poultry and even less meat.
- Focus on fresh, seasonal foods when possible and try to eliminate processed and packaged foods.
The Cleveland Clinic has a guide to the Mediterranean diet, including easy ways to adopt it at every meal.
This story may be outdated. We suggest some alternatives.
The content contained in this article is over two years old. As such our recommendation is that you reference the articles below for the latest updates on this topic. This article has been left on our site as a matter of historic record. Please contact us at email@example.com with any questions.