Health Tip: Prevent Eating Disorders
Don't talk about weight in a negative way
(HealthDay News) -- The causes of eating disorders, such as anorexia nervosa and bulimia, are often multi-faceted, which can make the conditions difficult to treat.
The best cure is prevention, says the U.S. Naval Hospital in Camp Pendleton, Cal. Here are five ways to help combat eating disorders:
- Talk to your kids about natural differences in body shapes and sizes.
- Avoid negative attitudes or conversations about weight.
- Don't discourage activities, such as swimming or dancing, just because they draw attention to weight or body shape.
- Talk to your kids about the misguided way in which appearance is linked to success.
- Be a good role model by eating nutritious meals and exercising regularly.