Health Tip: Buy Healthy Foods on a Budget
Try these practical shopping tips
(HealthDay News) -- Healthy eating can get expensive, but advance planning and budgeting can help you reign in costs without sacrificing nutritious foods.
The American Dietetic Association lists these shopping tips for buying healthy foods on a budget:
- Plan menus in advance, and write out a shopping list.
- Clip coupons and sign up for a rewards card at your grocery store.
- Buy foods cheaper in bulk, buy on sale and buy less-expensive store brands when you can.
- Check the per-unit price to spot a better deal.
- Start by circling the perimeter of the store for the fresh foods, then hit the middle aisles.
- Shop for fruits and vegetables that are in season, and look for locally produced foods.
- Prioritize your menu to use up foods that will expire quickly, and remember to store foods promptly in the refrigerator and freezer.