(HealthDay News) -- Frozen produce can be just as healthy and delicious as fresh varieties, but you have to read labels carefully to be sure you're not downing extra calories.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics lists these guidelines for choosing the healthiest frozen produce:
- Stick to plain frozen veggies and avoid those packaged in sauces.
- Always read labels to check fat and calorie content.
- Make sure any frozen juice is 100 percent juice.
- Get adventurous with frozen veggies and experiment with frozen artichoke hearts, edamame, bell peppers and fruits such as blueberries and mangoes.
- Enjoy the convenience of prepared frozen produce by choosing sliced stir-fry vegetables.