March 24, 2015
Health Tip: Considering Cereal for Breakfast
Choose a healthier product
(HealthDay News) -- Cereal can be a fun, quick and easy breakfast choice for children, but it's important to read labels to make sure you're serving up a healthy bowl.
The American Academy of Pediatrics suggests these guidelines:
- Skip the cartoon-covered boxes geared toward children, as they tend to contain more sugar and less fiber than other types of cereal.
- Opt for cereal with at least two, and ideally at least five, grams of fiber per serving.
- Stick to cereals with less than 12 grams of sugar per serving.
- Add cut-up fresh fruit to cereal for additional sweetness and nutrition.
- Choose a whole-grain cereal when possible.