March 31, 2015
Health Tip: Cook Healthier With a Slow Cooker
Suggestions for crock pot use
(HealthDay News) -- A slow cooker is an easy way to prepare a variety of healthier dishes that are ready for you at the end of a long day.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics suggests:
- Use weekends or evenings when you have ample time to prepare ingredients.
- Cut uniformly-sized pieces to ensure that they'll cook evenly.
- Store ingredients in air-tight containers for no more than three days.
- Put all ingredients in the crock pot's removable insert and store in the fridge overnight. This may require longer cooking time, since ingredients will be cold.
- Use leftovers in a new dish, such as last night's roast used in tacos or stew.