Health Tip: Curb Your Child's Weight
Or he could become obese as an adult
(HealthDay News) -- New research shows that children between 8 and 15 years old who are in the upper half of their normal weight range are more likely than their leaner peers to become obese or overweight as young adults.
According to Children's Hospital Boston, which helped conduct the study, parents should encourage healthy eating habits and realistic attitudes toward weight and diet.
The hospital offers these possible solutions for children who overeat:
- Nutritional and individual diet counseling.
- Modification of diet and caloric content (limit portion size).
- Participation in an appropriate exercise program.
- Behavior modification (for example, eat at home more often).
- Family support and encouragement.