Health Tip: Eat Healthier This Holiday Season
Suggestions for smart eating
(HealthDay News) -- The holidays are a time of celebrating with fattening foods, cocktails and lots of parties with friends and family. But you can take steps to prevent gaining too much weight during the holiday season.
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services offers these healthy eating suggestions:
- Enjoy the delicious tastes of the season, but limit yourself to small portions.
- Make sure not to eat too quickly. Take your time, enjoy the food and eat slowly so you know when you're full.
- Head out for a walk after dinner to burn some calories.
- When attending a party, bring a healthy, low-calorie dish, so you have at least one healthy option.
- Use holiday parties as an excuse to mingle, not munch. Enjoy a few bites of food and walk around the gathering, instead of planting yourself in front of the food table.
- Set a realistic goal, such as trying not to gain weight during the holidays, rather than trying to actually lose a few pounds.