Health Tip: Eating While on the Road
Don't leave healthy eating habits home
(HealthDay News) -- Do you pass the time on long road trips by pigging out on unhealthy snacks?
If so, it may be time to reconsider what you pack. With proper preparation and imagination, you can take a healthy lifestyle on the road.
Here are some tips, courtesy of Canada's Heart and Stroke Foundation:
- Know how long your trip will take so you can stock up on supplies.
- Bring a cooler, and restock it each day.
When preparing sandwiches to take along:
- Use whole wheat bread.
- Use mustard or horseradish instead of butter or margarine.
- Use lean meat fillings, such as ham, roast beef, chicken or turkey.
- Bring cut up vegetables for munching and fresh fruit for dessert and snacking.
- Bring plenty of water.