January 17, 2013
Health Tip: Encourage Kids to Snack on Fruits and Veggies
Keep a bowl of fruit where the kids will see it
(HealthDay News) -- Fruits and vegetables are among the healthiest snack choices, but these foods may not be kids' first choice.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics suggests how you can encourage kids to choose fruits and veggies for snacks:
- Make sure produce is in plain sight. Put a bowl of varied fruits on the table, or keep a bowl of cut veggies at eye level in the fridge.
- Offer the kids snack packs of dried fruits (without added sugar) and trail mixes that include dried fruits.
- Use dried peas and beans as a crunchy snack or on top of a salad.
- Have canned fruits on hand, including applesauce or chunks of pineapple and oranges.
- Use frozen fruits to top yogurt or add to smoothies. Offer frozen fruit bars as a healthy snack.
- Add canned or frozen veggies to dips made with beans and corn.